Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Bug sighting

I'm no expert in bugs. I have limited knowledge and books on bugs. But I love the challenge of trying to track a new one down. So after I find a new bug, I run to my barn and grab a camera and take a few pictures. Then at the end of the day I spend time trying to track down what kind of buy it is... but this is the second one that has eluded my searches. The first one was this Yellowmargined leaf beetle larvae. So after I get totally frustrated with my untrained searching, I send a picture to Dr. Ian Stocks at Clemson University and the speed at which he identifies them makes me wonder why I tried in the first place. His answer to this latest bug was : This is a stink bug (Pentatomidae)nymph in the subfamily Asopinae, the predatory stinkbugs.

DSC03540

No comments:

Post a Comment