Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Harvested Heirloom Kale

This heirloom kale is known as Lacinato, Dinosaur, Black Cabbage, Italian Black, or Tuscan. It is an excellent variety and looks wonderful!

DSC03052

I harvest the mature leaves when they reach 8"-12" in length. Then wash and rinse the leaves in ice water to remove field heat. I have the kale tied in generous half pound bundles (.5lbs - .7lbs each) using kitchen twine to tie them together. I am currently in the process of tracking down some good rubber bands to replace the twine and speed up the process.

2 comments:

  1. I love the texture on this kale variety. It is such a tactile experience!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am going to diversify my kale selection next year, but I have a feeling this one will remain my favorite.

    ReplyDelete